Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Can I Eat This?

Things Your Dog Should NOT Eat

         Many fur babies are given food from the table or people food in general, which they DO NOT NEED. However, because even we are some time guilty of this, here are a few things that your do should NEVER eat because they are toxic and can be quite fatal to your dog. 
  1. Avocado
    1. Contains toxin known as persin.
    2. Symptoms: respiratory problems, congestion, and build up around the heart. 
  2. Bread Dough
        1. When ingested, the yeast begins to expand in the warm stomach, leading to a big ball of dough within the stomach. 
    1. This can result in: loss of ability to breath, decrease blood flow, and alcohol poisoning from the multiplication of the yeast. 
  3. Chocolate 
    1. The rule of thumb; the darker it is, the more dangerous it is for your dog. 
    2. Eating chocolate for your furry friend can lead to vomiting, abdominal discomfort, muscle tremors, seizers and even death. 
  4. Ethanol 
    1. Also known as alcohol, can cause instant intoxication with only minimal amounts. 
    2. Symptoms: vomiting, loss of coordination, and disorientation. 
  5. Grape and Raisins
    1. Kidney failure in dogs is linked with grapes and raisins, however it is unclear the exact reason why. 
  6. Hops
    1. Cultivated hops used for brewing beer has the ability to poison dogs, increasing their body temperature and causing it to sky-rocketed, which can be fatal for your pet. 
  7. Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts
    1. Although these nuts are unlikely to be fatal if it is consumed by your pet in small amounts, it can still cause great discomfort for up to 48 hours (note: the smaller the dog the more it could effect them).
  8. Onions and Garlic
    1. Contain compounds that have the ability to damage red blood cells, however symptoms of the damage do not show up until up to five days after the food was consumed. 
    2. Symptoms: Weak or reluctant to move, tire more easily than normal, or orange to red tinged urine.
  9. Xylitol 
    1. This is an artificial sweetener often found in chewing gum. 
    2. In dogs, ingestions of this sweetener can lead to rapid and severe drop in blood sugar levels, which can lead to seizures and disorientation within 30 minutes of consumption. 
  10. Cooked Bones
    1. Can cause stomach lacerations, cut the throat and mouth or lead to more serious issues from infections or punctured organs. 
    2. Symptoms: Coughing, wheezing, coughing up blood, blood in the urine or bowel movements. 
  11. Dairy 
    1. Dairy can upset the dogs stomach leading to bad and constant diarrhea.
  12. Mushrooms
    1. The ingestion of mushroom can lead to shock death which include: cardiac shock, hypovolemic shock, septic shock and neurogenic shock. When a dog goes into shock internal organs will begin to fail and normal body processes will begin to stop. 
  13. Caffeine 
    1. Caffeine is toxic to the heart and nervous system. 
    2. Symptoms: Vomiting and diarrhea
  14. Medication (Tylenol, Advil Etc.)
    1. Causes kidney failure and ulcers. 
    2. Symptoms: unusually weak or tired, not acting like their usual selves, or vomiting
  15. Fatty Foods
    1. Ingesting too much fatty foods can lead to obesity and pancreatitis.  
Don't forget, your four-legged family member cannot eat everything that you can!

Tail Wags From the CompleteK9 Team :)

No comments:

Post a Comment